Wednesday, July 13, 2011

since we've been gone

(I am happy to say that) I can breathe for the first time (not really for the first time I just had to continue the song).
But I was a little nervous about living in Philadelphia for the summer because I have never lived outside of Utah and the longest I've been away was for a 2 week Church and American history tour in 2008.
As a chick who's big into my family and not really excited about change, I was worried about how everything would play out.
Now, I don't want to leave.
I am loving the change and having a blast out here.

For those who don't know, we came to Philadelphia to live with Jeff's brother Mike and his wife Jenny and their two kids while Jeff works on medical research with an amazing doctor at a Shriners Hospital. Jeff goes Mon-Thurs 7:30am-about 4:00 pm. They are working on some great papers about scoliosis.

What am I doing here? Well, I wish I could say a ton, but I'm really not. I volunteer on Tuesdays for 2 hours and play with the children at Shriners.  Shriners is strictly a children's hospital. They give free healthcare to anyone.  It is an incredible organization, one that I got to know during an annual benefit concert The Dance Club did for the Shriners in Salt Lake City. Lucky for me and my child based career options, this will help me with future jobs. On Thursdays, I help with admitting patients to the hospital on the first floor for about 7 hours.

Other than that, you could say I've watched some new TV "progrums" such as The Bachelorette and LOST, while keeping up with SYTYCD. But my favorite part about this summer (besides volunteering) is that I get to play with my niece Ada (6)
and my nephew Simon (3)
every day.  It's amazing how much you learn about children when you live with them and how quickly you grow to love everything about them.  Daily, we play Uno, Old Maid (Simon steals it when he finds it and keeps it. Not really a point in continuing the game after that), Go Fish, Crazy Eights, CandyLand, Connect 4, Guess Who, Chutes and Ladders, Dominoes, and Spit.  We watch movies, play games on my phone, look at pictures on my phone and computer, go to the park (it's just around the corner.. amazing), and do the hokey pokey. 

Ada is crazy for games - my kind of girl -  and Simon has a fear of heights - just like me. 

Here's what I've learned while in Philadelphia so far:
I'm not as nervous to leave for medical school in 2 years.
I love the east coast.
I love Rita's (water ice).
Philadelphia's water tastes like DIRT. It's terrible and bottled water must be purchased.
I can go places alone.
I love the game Sequence.
I hate humidity. It brings mildew smelling towels.
I love me a desk job.
I can cook some things... just not chicken (go figure). But I can make Sundee dinner.
I can't think of things to do to fill my time.
Seeing The Mormon Tabernacle Choir in concert is an amazing (& spiritual) experience!
Lunch is my least favorite meal of the day.
I now love exploring new places. New neighborhoods, new malls, new parts of town, new CITIES!
I love hydrangea bushes.
People in Philadelphia are gracious, caring, and overly sweet to strangers (in the good parts that is).
My allergies hate it here.
I love Simply Lemonade with raspberries.
I'm not very creative but I CAN try.
I miss green grass that doesn't hurt to sit on and you're not afraid to take your shoes off on.
I can figure out the times and where to go for the bus and subway (after Jeff has already showed me;).
Greyhound Express bus is the most amazing thing ever. $1 tickets to NYC and back. $4 round trip for both Jeff and me. Not bad. Costs us more to get to the bus station.
I love and miss Evie too much so I have to Skype with her often.
I love raspberry yogurt with fresh bananas, blueberries, and strawberries.
I will get fat in a hot and humid place. No desire to exercise outside!
I don't want to leave ada and simon. I am going to miss these munchkins! I hope they remember me and the fun summer we had as they grow up.
and... I love this guy

I love cooking/baking with him.
I love traveling with him.
I love shopping with him (he's a sport and really enjoys interior design stores! Especially when they have these really soft chairs. Jeff goes for anything soft),
 It's been a great and memorable summer so far.
the lardybug

No comments:

Post a Comment