Thursday, January 26, 2012

sorry kids, you can't watch spiderman?

ok after today's lecture my mind is blown.
all i have been thinking about is
spiderman is bad?!!!
i have to tell my 4-year-old he can't watch spiderman?!




let me elaborate.
today we learned about educational television- particularly for preschool-aged children.
4-5 year olds are my favorite after my experience in the preschool (if you couldn't already tell).
i love this age. they are so capable and bright.
but they're still so moldable and innocent - it is for this reason that I am so concerned.

first i'll focus on some of the awesome and really positive things that we learned:

  • there's never been a better time than now for educational tv for preschoolers.  Think about it... there are so many programs directed toward 4 year olds- teaching them with interactive games and asking questions so they'll respond. blues clues, super why, and dora- to name a few. There used to only be mr. rogers and sesame street. We've never had it so easy- which also (to me) means this caution: it's so easy that i'll probably want to let my kid sit there for hours because... hey! it's educational!
  • educational tv (and especially disney movies) show sooo many acts of prosocial behavior- acts that 4 year olds have been found to imitate and learn from. (one of the most fascinating things we learned was that Pocahontas has 2.79 prosocial acts per MINUTE!! The highest of all Disney movies- according to a study done by my very own professors (Coyne and Walker) 
  • kids who watch these shows have better vocabularies, problem solving skills, intelligence, and show higher information acquisition (Anderson, et al., 2001). They are getting smarter and learning by watching!

Now, let's get to the really interesting stuff.

There was a study done in 2005 (Mares & Woodward) that tested prosocial and antisocial acts to see what their effects would be on the viewers (preschoolers).  They found that when children watched prosocial behavior, they were definitely influenced by it and imitated it. HOWEVER, they also found that antisocial acts are JUST as influential.  AND when prosocial acts were mixed with aggression (ex: Superman kills the bad guy, but it's a good thing because, you know, he's the good guy getting rid of the bad guys) it led to these children behaving much more AGGRESSIVEly.

You have to understand that children can't distinguish between fantasy and reality until age 7. 

Now after knowing that, can you see why children would think it's totally normal to
"kick the mean guys in the shins" (quote from my favorite movie One Fine Day). 

Can you see why your 4 year old would act aggressively because they do imitate the behaviors they see?  They don't understand the difference yet. 

So... on to what i've been thinking allll day.

What am I going to allow my kids to watch and at what age?!
What age is it appropriate for them to watch Spiderman and shows like Spiderman? 
7?

I never would have thought it would be detrimental to my kids.  I don't want to be the most hated mom, but I also want to be cautious about how i raise my kids- i want the best outcomes.
I could also start telling you about what i know about fast-paced television shows (Spiderman) and what those do to young ones... 
Let's not.  I'll get off my soap box.

But really,
what (and when) are you going to let your kids watch?
have i rocked your world or are you not convinced?

5 comments:

  1. When you find out good movies and shows that 4-7 year olds should watch, let me know because I have no idea now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in Walker's moral dev class this semester? I read that same article and had the same lecture last semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No :( She only taught it Fall and I couldn't get in because it was the same time as my ballroom class (should have taken her class instead!) But also I didn't have the time to invest in it.. love her classes because they take TIME but I didn't have it. Wish i did though she is my favorite! I'm in Dr. Coyne's Media, Family, and Human Development class.(SFL 358)

      Delete
  3. After watching Kaenan grow up with the excellent children's programming available and seeing how fast he developed language skills, I completely agree with your professors. AND-since his dad was young and didn't realize that little guys shouldn't be watching Spiderman and other shows with aggressive behavior, I also agree that they shouldn't see those shows until later. He definitely displayed early aggressive behavior that he has only grown out of this past year or so. Very interesting. PS. I LOVE Wonder Pets, Dinosaur Train, and Backyardigans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara! I love this! It makes me miss human development sooo much. I've been thinking about kids and this moldable stage of life a lot lately (I've started observing schools for my teaching certification). Brandon and I haven't talked about it in too much detail BUT we do know we don't want to have a TV for a long time, or maybe not at all. It seems for every good thing out there, there are 5 bad things. But I don't think TV is evil. In fact i LOVE it! We have netflix and it's like a library or good educational material (just hidden in all the junk). I think the most important thing is to be aware. Be aware of your children and what material they are watching/reading etc. TV's aren't babysitters. Either are computers. But both can be used to do so much good, as long as you promote them that way. In the last year I've watched all seasons of desperate housewives, vampire diaries, and gossip girl. it's embarrassing (I can't believe i just admitted it...) I may be twenty something but I still do the "monkey see monkey do". I didn't want to be like those people (characters) I didn't look up to them. They didn't teach me any good lessons or inspire me to be a better person. it was trash. I've set new years goal to only spend time watching things that are 1. uplifting 2. educational. sure I need my office fix every once in a while but already I can tell a difference in myself! I have more to talk about, I've done personal research on topics I thought I could care less about. I'm learning, a whole lot! And i think i'm becoming a better person because of it.

    I don't want my kids to be fighters, or bratz, or dramatic. I just remembered that there were TV shows I wasn't allowed to watch growing up. Some that seemed totally innocent (no violence etc). But I can totally see where my parents were coming from. They didn't want us to be like those characters. monkey see monkey do. they wanted us to be like thomas the tank: strong and brave, or like mr. rogers: kind and patient, or Aurther: always having adventures and learning life lessons.

    ok. world's longest comment.

    love you kara.

    call me so we can have a huge long conversation about this! I love it!

    ReplyDelete