So I've been wondering, are plays/musicals media?
I think they are - they reach people widely in New York City, but probably not as "widely" every where else. So based on this definition, I'm not so sure.
But when I think of my experience with plays and musicals - they have definitely influenced me. One musical, in particular, influenced me more than I could have imagined.
My sister, Natalie, is an actress/dancer/singer. She's lived in NYC for the last 11 years, graduated from NYU, done 3 Broadway shows, and tons of off-broadway stuff. The last 6 months she's been in Las Vegas playing the role of Mary Delgado (Frankie Valli's wife) in Jersey Boys. My family had all seen Jersey Boys on Broadway years ago, but I hadn't had the opportunity yet. So, when we took a trip down to see Natalie in Vegas, it was my first time seeing the show.
OH, WHAT A NIGHT!!!!
I was blown away.
(my favorite scene from the show-
the 4 guys turn around and face the back of the stage-
as if their concert is there and you're in the background watching)
I've never been to such an upbeat, fun show in my life. I tell everyone that if they could see one Broadway show, this should be it.
The whole show is like a concert. It's the story of Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons so you get to hear their songs throughout the show. By the end of the show, everyone is up, out of their seats and dancing with the cast. I would think this would be the most rewarding curtain call for an actor night after night.
Nat as Mary
My most favorite thing is that Jeff loved the show as much, if not more, than I did! He gets so into the music and lines - he quotes them all the time and we sing the songs constantly. Jeff and I loved the show so much, we went back two months later to see it again. And it was even better the second time. I am in awe that a musical had this much of an effect on me. For the last month I've been listening to the Jersey Boys cd Nat gave Jeff for Christmas. Every day the same songs, over and over. I listen to it before work to put me in a good mood and it works! I sing the songs in my head the whole time I am at work and it makes the night so much better. It's amazing how much media influences us and how we can choose to let it make our lives better or worse.
(Natalie is the second to bottom row-
third one in from the left)
I'm sad Nat's run in Jersey Boys is over, but I will always remember her incredibly believable performance as Mary. She gave the role humor. The audience only laughed on her lines. She was authentic and real. As I listen to the voice of the woman who originated Mary on the cd, I laugh at how much better Nat was! I'll miss hearing her nail those lines, but I can't wait to see what she nails next. On to the next show! Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with it too...
the entrance to the theatre
leaving the theatre
my eyes adored you, Jersey Boys!
watch a video to get the feel of Jersey Boys here








DANG. I wish I saw it!! or could see it! With her in it!
ReplyDelete